Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Week 5 Assignment 1 Games, Simulations, and Virtual Environments


Games, Simulations, and Virtual Environments

This week, I want to introduce a virtual environment and a game that have the potential to enhance adult education. Second Life is available on http://secondlife.com/, and the Restaurant Game can be reached via http://www.english-online.org.uk/games/restaurantgame.htm.

Second Life is an online virtual world. Everyone can create an avatar by entering the site for free and start exploring this world. It is not a game, but more of an online social environment to meet people and visit places. Users can get as creative as they can while creating their avatar and their virtual home. I selected this medium because learners can practice English while communicating with their classmates or strangers in a relaxed environment that does not involve competition. To incorporate this technology into my professional practice, I would inform the learners that are at intermediate level and above in the Preparatory Program about Second Life and encourage them to join it. Then, I would start a Second Life Fun Club, which learners can join as an extra-curricular activity, after class hours. I would have scheduled meetings with the learners there, to assign them specific tasks every week, such as “visit London and note down the most interesting person you met there”. In our next meeting, learners would describe this person. Another way I would use it is to ask my learners to reflect on their experiences in Second Life, comparing them to their real life. I would ask them to write a weekly reflection and submit it to me. I think learners who volunteer to join this club would benefit from this experience tremendously because they would be practicing English in a real-like environment according to their preferences. I would just be there to guide them in this adventure. The website http://www.avatarlanguages.com/teaching/virtualworld.php offers more ideas for using Second Life for educative purposes for those who are interested.

The Restaurant Game is great for English language learners to learn about the British culture. The player acts as a newly employed waiter at the Brit Café, who is trying to serve customers the right food. The menu consists of traditional British food, and the main aim is to familiarize the player with these dishes. There are three categories in the menu: starters, main course, and pudding and each has a number of scenarios in it once you click. I selected this game because I think it is important for learners of English to learn about the culture of the language they are studying, and food is a big part of the culture. I could use this game in class in my lessons for teaching purposes or I could assign certain scenarios as homework for my learners to learn some meals by exploring themselves, depending on how independent my learners are. I could test their achievement by giving them a quick True/False test in class. Another way of incorporating this game into my teaching is to turn certain scenarios into role-play activities in class. I could assign a different scenario to pairs of learners and ask them to learn every food on their menu. Then, in class, pairs could act out this scenario. I think this game is a fun way to teach learners of English about the British culture, and it could be integrated into the lesson in many ways.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Izlem,
    I think both of your suggestions would work well in a language class. I would especially like to use Second Life in my class because it is a communicative game. I think your idea of how to use it is great. It can be used both to practice speaking and writing. Learners do not always have the opportunity to practice English in a real-like environment, and this virtual environment provides them with that.
    Thank you for your suggestions,
    Seher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have found my suggestion useful, Seher. Thank you for your response.

      Delete
  2. Izlem,
    I love that you found a way to use Second Life for your English language learners and you have a variety of engaging activities planned. I especially like the weekly reflection assignments, I am a fan of learning journals and reflection papers. I tried to look at Second Life for teaching history and got too bogged down, frustrated, and left. I have saved your link and will look at it and may try again one day. The restaurant game seems great for learning about another culture and building vocabulary-thanks for your informative and interesting blog this week. Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, I know that the game may be frustrating at the beginning; it takes some time to get used to it. However, I think it has great potential to enhance adult education, so it is worth a try. Thanks for responding.

      Delete
  3. Hi Izlem,
    I really liked the idea of using this virtual environment, Second Life as it gives learners a chance to meet people of different nations. My learners would love the idea of being able to chat with native speakers of English. As there is the option of being able to listen to one person only, they can even be more effective compared to the pair work activities done in class because of the noise level during them. You may also want to check out the videos Nik Peachey has recorded to train your learners touse the site more efficiently. The videos give ideas to teachers, too. You may find them at http://nikpeachey.blogspot.com/2007/08/teaching-english-in-second-life.html

    Thank you for your great suggestions.
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. Su, I will check this link out as soon as I have the time. Thanks for providing it and for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Izlem,

    I tried out the British Game. The game is pretty interesting and I have already learned some things about British food association words.

    Thanks for the info!


    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete