Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week 2 Assignment 1 Applications and Media Resources

Applications and Multimedia Resources


There is a vast number of applications and multimedia resources available on the Internet. This week, I am going to focus on two of these that have the potential to enhance adult education.

The first one, Interactive English, which is available in the Apple store, is a free application designed both for iPhone and iPad. There is a new edition every month, and it is designed for three distinct levels: basic, intermediate, and advanced. I have downloaded it onto my iPad to see what the November edition includes. In this edition, for basic level learners, there are some interactive vocabulary exercises related to ages and a basic news story; for intermediate level learners there are some interactive vocabulary exercises related to remembering and an intermediate news story; and for advanced level learners there are some interactive vocabulary exercises related to groups and quantities, an advanced news story, and a video discussion. I have selected this technology because it is free, easy to use, and offers materials for English language learners at three levels. I also liked that it offers new materials every month. One way I could incorporate this technology into my professional practice is by assigning the vocabulary exercises as homework. Then, in class, I would ask my learners to produce a dialogue, a paragraph, or a short story (depending on my learners’ level) in pairs, using these words. Another way I would incorporate this technology into my teaching is by assigning my learners to read the news story as homework. Then, in class, I would group my learners and give each group some questions related to the news story to discuss. Finally, I would ask my learners to reflect on the story in written form and submit it to me. You can reach this application by following this link: https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/interactive-english/id481624098?mt=8

The second technology I have selected is BBC Learning English. This is a wonderful site that offers links to a variety of learning sources, such as blogs, Facebook pages, podcasts, videos, and the like. One reason I liked it is this variety it offers. In addition, it is up-to-date; the links take you to current news. There are many ways I would incorporate this technology into my professional practice. One way would be to assign my learners to do a mini-presentation of something they learn via this page (such as an idiom, news, information about a topic of their interest, and the like) every week. I would not limit them with what to present, because the site offers sources for people with various interest areas. I think my learners would enjoy to learn about something they are interested in and to share this with their peers. Another way I would use it is to ask my learners to communicate with other learners around the world, using the “Community” link. Once they follow this link and sign in, my learners will be able to make a new entry and write a comment to another learner’s entry. I would ask my learners to make two contributions to this discussion board every week, as a part of our course. This would give them a chance to establish genuine communication with other learners of English. You can explore this site by following this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/index.shtml

5 comments:

  1. Hello Izlem,

    I have found the two tools to be very effective with my language learners. What I liked about the application Interactive English is that it has three levels, which allows learners to start with the easy one and move onto more difficult if their level of English is high. Also, the audio feature of the news story certainly help them improve their pronunciation, so students with pronunciation problems can work on intonation and pronunciation with the help of them. Many of my learners have İPhone so they can use it anytime anywhere.

    BBC English offers so may choices both for the educator and the learner. Prospective English language teachers or novice ones can improve their teaching with the lesson plans, ideas and blog the site offers. I learned a lot in my previous years in the field of language teaching. Just by following the lesson plan, Iw as bale to grasp what planning involves. Thank you for reminding me this website again.

    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Su. I have not used BBC English yet, but I definitely will. It is good to know that you used it and benefitted from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Izlem,
    As a language instructor I have found both of the applications you suggested useful. I would especially like to use Interactive English as it provides activities for different levels and that there is a new edition every month. Most of my learners have difficulty in learning vocabulary, and I believe this application would help them with it. I can ask them to choose at least twenty words from Interactive English, and ask them to use them in their writings. This would also give enthusiastic learners to learn more than what we offer.
    Thank you for your suggestions,
    Seher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Seher! Thanks for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Izlem,

    I've never heard of BCC Learning English. On my campus we are always looking for different strong content based programs to support ELL learning. I will look into this one. I think this would be perfect for ELL students to stay connected to their culture.
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete