Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week 3 Assignment 1 Social Networking Technologies


Social Networking Technologies

The two social networking technologies that have the potential to enhance adult education, which I want to introduce are Edublogs and Wikispaces.

As the name suggests, Edublogs (http://edublogs.org/) is an education blogging service. In addition to blogging, learners can participate in discussions, post videos, podcasts and documents, and create their own class publication. I have selected this technology because it is designed for educational purposes, so it does not include any advertisements or inappropriate content; it is easy to use; and it offers a variety of learning tools. I might incorporate this technology to my professional practice by creating a class on the page. This would enable me to monitor every entry that my learners make to their blogs and their peers’ blogs. I would give my learners weekly assignments to prepare and post on their blog, related to the content we cover in class. They would also be responsible for reading a selection of their peers’ blogs and commenting at least on two of them. I would grade these entries and give my learners feedback on a weekly basis. Another way I would incorporate this technology into my teaching is by asking my learners to download the IOS or Android application on their mobile phones. Then, I would give them short homework tasks, such as “Report the most delicious food you have had today” or “Write about the most boring part of your day” and ask my learners to write short entries on their blogs for these, using their mobile phones. This would improve their fluency in using the language, since they would not have the time to plan their writing, and it would be fun to read one another’s entries.

Wikispaces Private Label Education (http://www.wikispaces.com/) allows schools to create their own space, but it is also possible for instructors to start with their own classroom wiki on Wikispaces. Through a wiki, learners can easily add and edit written work, as well as sharing ideas, photos, links, and the like. I have selected Wikispaces, because it can be reached on every device, it enables the addition of widgets, it has a discussion board, it logs every change made onto a document, and it has adjustable permissions, so the educator can control who sees what. I have been using this technology in my writing courses to encourage collaborative learning. It works well, especially with projects where I assign my learners to gather information from various sources. I provide them the link of articles and videos on the wiki, and assign my learners different parts of each source. Then, I give them the essay topic and ask my learners to share the parts of their source that they feel are important and can be used when writing this essay. They all comment on one another’s notes, add, edit, or delete them. Once they are comfortable with the information they will use, they write their essays individually and share them on the wiki. The second way I incorporate this technology into my teaching is by engaging my learners in peer feedback. Once every learner shares his/her essay, I ask my learners to read at least two of their peers’ essays and provide feedback according to the criteria discussed beforehand. Learners write their second drafts according to the feedback they receive from their friends and submit me this revised draft. That way, learners become more independent, as they take responsibility of their learning.

3 comments:

  1. Izlem,
    Thanks for an excellent blog on edublogs- I have a blog over there, but have not yet taken the time to discoevr all the great tools for educators. Thank you for sharing some excellent ideas on how to use those extra tools in your classroom. I would borrow your idea of short home work tasks, to stay engaged and keep students think about the course. I appreciate your discussion on wikispaces, I am such a novice about that, that I learned a great deal from your discussion. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog and for your positive comments, Teri. I am glad that you have found some of my ideas useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Izlem,
    Very interesting choices this week, I have not heard of either social networking sites Edublogs or Wikispaces. However with some research I was able to find out from the website Edublogs (2012) that “Edublogs can be used for facilitating fantastic discussions, replacing paper newsletters, getting students to blog, also videos, podcasts, and documents can be posted, as well as learners being able to create a class publication.” As for Wikispaces Education (2012) “Wikispaces is a place where you can write, discuss, and build web pages together.” What I like about sites is that they can be used in a variety of ways to get learners thinking and interacting amongst one another. Also I liked that from Wikispaces Education that the lettering on the site was big and it gives the site more easy access to use due to its visibility. Thanks for your contribution this week.
    Melitta
    References
    Edublogs. (2010).Ways to use edublogs. Retrieved from http://edublogs.org/
    Wikispaces Education. (2012. Retrieved from http://www.wikispaces.com/content/student

    ReplyDelete